Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Comedy of Errors

Yesterday as I was driving past my children's school, I saw on the marquee that the PTA function at the Austin Grill was that night. The marquee said "tonight". I quickly called Ryan and suggested we go as a surprise for the kids. (They think we don't participate in school functions. They are more or less right.) Ryan agreed so that was the plan. When the kids came home from school I thought I would motivate them to get their homework done by telling them we were going to go somewhere fun. They asked where and I said, "Was there any announcements made at school today?" They all said, "no". So I thought I would help them out by saying, "Have you heard of the Austin Grill?" Camilla then piped up by saying, "YES! Kinsey and Lauren were there last night and they saw Mrs. Moulder and they met Mr. Moulder!" So then it dawned on me. I was a day late. So when I realized that, and the kids realized we missed it, well, then there were tears. Not only from them, but also from me. I called Ryan and he suggested we go out for dinner anyway.

Well, I then decided to go to some BBQ restaurant that we had coupons for so that the kids could eat free. I could only find one coupon, although we started off with six! We had never eaten at this restaurant before and when I showed up with all six kids (Ryan was coming straight from work) the hostess had pretty wide eyes when I said we needed a table for eight. Luckily Ryan wasn't too far behind me.

We were seated and it seemed like forever until our waiter showed his face. We ordered drinks, just water, and when he brought them there were 8 huge GLASSES filled with ice and water. No kid cups any where to be seen. As you can imagine, as soon as they were set down one was spilled, all over Camilla. (She wasn't the one who spilled it either!) Well it took us a long time to get our food, and as soon as it came the girls all needed to use the bathroom. I never got the vegetables I ordered and when I got a second glass of water it came back in a glass that had had lemonade (or something not mine) in it! It was loud, and I just wanted to be home.

It all started out as a fun school activity and ended up as a lousy experience. Next time a PTA fund raiser comes up, I'll write it down on the calender or better yet, continue in the tradition of not attending at all!

3 comments:

Westmoreland Family said...

That is so funny, well not really funny, but sounds like how it is when we go out, and we have half the kids you do. I always believe its better to stay home then go out. You always think its a good idea, but then when you are there..."THERES NO PLACE LIKE HOME".

Anonymous said...

It does happen all the time. You might have a LOT OF ERRORS but it is always fun to be with your family. And then late ron you can talk about it with the kids and laugh about it =)

Julie said...

This sounds like so many of our eat out experiences. As much as I love the break from cooking, eating out is highly over-rated when you have that many kids. But think of the memories you're making!