Tuesday, July 21, 2009

just how old am I?


American Fork High School class of '89 had their 20 year reunion last weekend. Many of the people there are friends of mine from former years. I was glad to see that pictures from the reunion were posted on Facebook so that I could have a little peek on their fun. It was great to see familiar faces and was weird not to recognize others. Some people seemed to have changed a lot while others haven't changed a bit. Now this was not my graduating class. I am much younger, after all I am from the class of 1990! My overall impression though was that everyone looked OLD, well, I guess, just OLDER. They looked good, just old. I haven't seen many of these people for 15 to yes, 20 years, so what was I expecting. 18 year old boys and girls really do grow up. I of course don't look old..... or do I? I remember well my mom's 20 year reunion, I didn't attend, but I went shopping with her as she picked out a new dress for the occasion. My children will probably remember mine, for it will be next year and we are planning now to make the trek out to Utah to attend it. YIKES! Do I look old to my kids? Hmmm, I'm not sure I want to know. Well this is the background for what happened today.
As I was downstairs our next door neighbor, who is 10, bounced into our garage on a pogo stick. I haven't been on one in years and it looked so fun and easy! I asked if I could try it out as he went upstairs to find my son. So there I was with Camilla watching me intently as I tried out the pogo stick. I jumped on it once and couldn't bounce, I tried it again, with no good result, and then the third time.... well, let's just say that the pogo stick went one way, and I hit the ground. I hit the ground hard. How grateful I am that there were no neighbors around to watch my graceful move. I did laugh pretty hard however, but I'm not sure if that was just to cover up the pain or to put on a brave face for my daughter. I contemplated showing off the 3 inch bruise on my thigh but have thought better of it. But tonight as I have cleaned my kitchen and done other chores my ENTIRE body is sore, not just the body parts that broke my fall, my shoulders, neck and back are all sore. That's just weird don't you think? Because it's not like I am old or anything! I'm really not. When I figure out the real reason I'll let you know. But for the time being I think I'll stay away from pogo sticks and reunion pictures. I might just feel better about being a young 37!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I know exactly what you mean. While I didn't actually hit the ground on my daughter's new pogo stick, I didn't exactly look graceful as I tried to bounce more than once. And yes, it went one way and I the other. But I have felt those same full body pains and have thought to myself, I am still young aren't I? 37 is not old!!!! p.s. You'll look beautiful at your reunion.

katie said...

I wish I were there to see your pogo stick experience. I would of laughed with you. NO you are not old. Just come and meet my neighbors and then you will know. Can't wait to see you.