My friend sent out an email saying that she was trying to help her daughter find a new home for her cat Nuggs. Somehow when I read this email I forgot of my uneasiness with animals and felt like this would be a great pet for my children. Call it what you will, I'll call it insanity, but I talked to her and decided to try this cat on a trial basis.
Now let me first say this. Nuggs is a GREAT CAT! I'm not kidding. He would sit and let six of my children pet him all at once. He is totally easy going and likes people and wants attention. What more could you ask for. That is.... if you're a cat person.
I have known my whole life that I could live perfectly content and never own an animal. This is just who I am. But for my children.... I would do anything. Really? Anything?
Nuggs sheds. I shouldn't be surprised, all cats do.
Nuggs sleeps during the day and is awake at night. Again, this is typical for cats.
I apparently can't handle these two things.
Thank goodness for the trial basis. Nuggs is now gone. Hopefully Susan will be able to find him a good home.
I have some very, VERY, sad children. So to help them ease their pain, you'll never guess what I did. Yes, I told them I'd get them a dog! So once again, I will plead insanity, because I don't really like those either. Luckily for me I gave some conditions so the dog won't be here too soon. At least I hope not!
4 comments:
Did you tell them that you'd get a pet when your youngest child is 5, like I did (3 kids ago)? :)
be careful what you promise - cats are much easier than dogs. MUCH MUCH easier. (I am more of a dog person myself, but I love all animals. At our house we have a dog, a cat, a bird, a turtle, and 5 chickens (laying hens) (had a fish until yesterday, when Mystery (the cat) got a little too curious and pushed over the fish's tank...)
Dogs also shed (worse than cats in my opinion) and often need to go out at night to use the bathroom - plus they need to be walked, make way more noise, are harder to arrange for when you go out of town, and are harder to clean up after. I'm not telling you to NOT get a dog - I love dogs and think every child should grow up around one - but be forewarned what you are getting into. Nuggs may be that better choice for you.
This post totally made me laugh, I bought a dog on an impulse one day with money that was supposed to be for groceries. She was a great dog and we loved her. We got out of my impulse by moving internationally. Not easy, but it worked ;)
We did the same thing a few years ago with a puppy. Except we paid something like $500 and when we took him back to the Amish farm where we bought him I don't know if I was crying more because I felt like I was ruining my kids' life or because I was out $500. Thankfully the kids have forgiven me. Unfortunately, that $500 would come in real handy right now :)
Post a Comment